SANTA ANA – A Valentine’s Day raid of a suspected drug house netted more than 100 pounds of brown heroin, the largest such seizure in California history and one of the 40 largest brown heroin busts in U.S. history, federal officials said Friday. The 121 pounds of heroin were discovered late Wednesday by officers with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement at a house in Anaheim, said William Hayes, assistant special agent-in-charge for the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for Orange County. Officers also seized 34 pounds of marijuana and three pounds of a white powder that is likely methamphetamine, he said. Six people were arrested and held on suspicion of drug possession with intent to distribute, officials said. The heroin had a street value of up to $6 million, said Wayne Rositano, resident agent-in-charge for the Drug Enforcement Administration in Orange County. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “To take 51 kilos off the street is unprecedented in Orange County and it’s unprecented in California,” Hayes said. “No community or county is immune to the threats posed by drug trafficking.” The second-largest largest seizure of brown heroin in California history was last year east of Los Angeles, said Sarah Pullen, DEA spokeswoman. In all of 2006, DEA agents in the Los Angeles office seized a total of 176 pounds of brown heroin, she said. ICE officers found the heroin after U.S. Customs inspectors tipped them off to a car carrying five bundles of the drug that entered the United States from Mexico at the San Ysidro border crossing near San Diego. Immigration officials tracked the car to the home in Anaheim and conducted the raid that night, officials said. Arrested were Luis Alcantar-Zepeda, 28, Jose Casares-Macias, 22, Jairo Ortiz-Diaz, 26, and Rosendo Churape-Cardenas, 37, all of Michoacan, Mexico; and Jacqueline Pimentel, 31, and Rosa Soto, 26, both of Anaheim. All six made initial court appearances Thursday but have not yet been arraigned. Hayes said the investigation was ongoing and more tests on the heroin would likely tell authorities its purity, where the poppies used to make it were grown and could even give clues about which trafficking ring or cartel had made it. Many of the bundles of heroin were in plastic bags marked in black marker with a smiling sun – a certain organization’s tag, he said.
“I was happy to meet with local Aboriginal leaders; I’ve met with them in the past and want to continue on meeting with them,” Zimmer concluded. “It doesn’t mean will always agree on issues but I look forward to more positive meeting in the future.” “I met them in my office yesterday; I met with the Chief from Moberly, Roland Willson, and we met for breakfast this morning to discuss Site C,” Zimmer explained. “…It was basically to voice their concerns they have that are in the report that the National Energy Board has done and voice their concerns about some of the impacts of the proposed project.”Chief Logan and Willson posted a controversial photo on Twitter moments after concluding with MP Zimmer – their middle finger pointed directly at Parliament with the caption “Treaty 8 Chiefs Logan and Willson salute Harpers office.”Treaty 8 Chiefs Logan and Willson salute Harpers office. pic.twitter.com/eR5eScN0wC— Liz Logan (@DeneWoman1) September 23, 2014Both Chief Logan and Willson were unavailable for comment in time for publication.- Advertisement -MP Zimmer was somewhat taken back by the photo as he says once their meeting concluded, he left the table with the feeling they’ve engaged in a productive conversation.Advertisement “I thought it was an interesting thing to do because I thought we had some good discussions,” Zimmer said. “We didn’t agree on everything …and even though that decision is forthcoming, the actions displayed were a little bit of a surprise.”Zimmer says he understands the environmental concerns of First Nation leaders and their supporters, but ultimately the federal government needs to base their decision on “what’s good for all Canadians.”“We want to have a project that meets environmental criteria especially and hopefully satisfy all stakeholders and constituents as best as possible,” Zimmer goes on to say. “…We hope we have a consensus support when that decision is made but we’ll see how that goes.”Zimmer says he looks forward to meeting with First Nation representatives in the future as the provincial and federal government are expected to release their decision on Site C within the next month.Advertisement
Manchester United have made an enquiry for Lazio star Felipe Anderson, according to reports in Italy.The 22-year-old was one of the stars of Serie A last season, weighing in with 10 goals from midfield.Both United and Manchester City have scouted the Brazilian, as have German champions Bayern Munich.But, according to TMW, it is United who have moved first by making an enquiry regarding Anderson’s availability.Lazio are determined to hold onto their talisman, though, and would want any deal to be worth over £30m. Felipe Anderson 1